more G-Labs products

Author Topic: Is a dual concurrent Linux and Windows HG setup possible?  (Read 1004 times)

March 13, 2016, 06:48:41 PM
Read 1004 times

Acorlin

• Information
I am running HG on a Windows 10 machine at a remote location. I use it to control lights, gates and to monitor the internal thermostat and cameras. The location is so off the grid I can get internet service only via satellite. Do to the nature of the satellite setup I cannot directly remote in to the Windows 10 computer and must use a program called LogMeIn. When it has not worked well it has caused me a 250 mile round trip. At random times the Windows 10 computer decides to lock up and deny remote access. This usually occurs after an unintended OS upgrade.

When I have lost the ability to remotely access the site I find upon personal inspection that HG is many times still running in the background.

I have tried different computers and OS's and have found that only the Linux based Ubuntu machines run with certainty. I am pretty sure the reason is that the internet feed is sometimes very slow and erratic.

I would like to run a Linux box at the remote location however LogMeIn does not work with that operating system. Other remote programs I have tried do not have the versatility and video output I need.

So my question is---

Is it possible to run a HG setup with one USB control stick on a Linux system and monitor and control it from an internally networked Windows 10 computer being remotely controlled via LogMeIn? That way I could have the control and stability I need from the Linux OS and if the Windows 10 computer goes out I still know that the Linux setup is running HG.

I appreciate your taking the time to read this.
Alan

March 14, 2016, 03:27:43 PM
Reply #1

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
I have not tried this, so I can't say it will work.  However, there is a way for one HG setup to communicate module state to another setup.  If you were to do that, you *should* be able to use a local setup to control the second setup at the same or a different location.  I run HG on a RPi v2 and have had very few issues that were not self inflicted.  If I were in your situation, I would seriously consider using that approach.

It is possible to use the Android client to control your HG setup, but it requires a live connection to to things in real time.  Prior to migrating to HG, I was running AHP (Active Home Pro) to control my X10 setup.  I used the SDK that X10 released to write some custom scripts that would allow me to control my setup remotely via SMS.  If you do not have a good internet connection, perhaps you could opt for a SMS modem and control things using a similar approach?

March 14, 2016, 04:56:08 PM
Reply #2

[email protected]

• Information
You could use SSH and run an XWindows Server on your machine you are connecting from..

March 31, 2016, 05:27:10 AM
Reply #3

lorenzanaj

• Information
If your running Linux you can expose the HG web gui's port 80/8090 and port forward to expose HG to the public internet. Can do must things from the HG web interface.

Port forward ssh (port 22) to if you need a terminal session. Yep and can do what david said about forwarding X Win if you need the desktop.

Then signup w/ dyndns.org or similar service since your public IP address might rotate.

VNC, and Teamviewer are really good remote control apps too.