more G-Labs products

Author Topic: Switching from Vera  (Read 2429 times)

February 15, 2015, 05:23:12 PM
Read 2429 times

CptJack

• Information
I've had a VeraLite for a couple of years, and though it's been an invaluable member of my HA setup, I'm finding myself continually frustrated by the lack of programming options. The odd LUA language coupled with the plugins needed to make it do very much makes for a bit of a mess at times. I'd been looking to switch to another HA system which would support all of my existing devices (Z-Wave, Honeywell Ademco Vista alarm system, MySensors and Yamaha AVR mostly), and decided to try out OpenHAB and HomeGenie.

OpenHAB looks to have been around longer and have more community support, but was vastly too complicated to get setup initially, and so I decided to try out OpenGenie. I've found it to be intuitive and powerful, plus, as a C# developer professionally, I know I can make it do anything I need. So far, I have the Z-Wave and Yamaha AVRs working, and a working start on the alarm panel. I've posted my work so far on the AVR, and will add the alarm panel code as I get it to be more reliable.

I look forward to getting everything up and running like it was before with HomeGenie, and then expanding my system even further. I'll post any apps I come up with along the way, since I truly believe that community support is really what makes a product great!

There are no comments for this topic. Do you want to be the first?