more G-Labs products

Author Topic: A little help getting started with X10  (Read 3681 times)

February 29, 2016, 12:50:45 AM
Read 3681 times

grahamjw

• Information
Hi all,

I'm new to HG, which I have installed on a Debian PC and I'm having a little trouble getting X10 working.

I have a CM11 connected to /dev/ttyS0 and a single X10 appliance module set to A1 which have been confirmed to work with heyu on the same machine. I've set the X10 interface in HG to /dev/ttyS0 and when HG is started I can confirm that the mono process has the port open (lsof /dev/ttyS0).

I've used the HG package manager to install the Firecracker modules and configured a single Firecracker module (A1)  as a switch. However, when I toggle the switch on and off in HG, the appliance module does not respond.

Perhaps I have gone wrong by using the Firecracker modules, but I couldn't see any other way to add X10 receivers.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate the input.

Thanks!

EDIT: Attached a log file.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 03:53:52 AM by grahamjw »

February 29, 2016, 01:11:04 PM
Reply #1

kevin1

• Information
I just turned off my X10 after pretty much transitioning to Zwave.  I have a CM11 and a few old X10 switches.  Not sure why you are using firecracker if you have CM11?  Firecracker is another computer interface correct?  Can you just enable X10 with the CM11, house code A, and control A1 switch?

February 29, 2016, 05:00:59 PM
Reply #2

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
The firecracker (CM17A) is a RF transmitter.  The CM11A is a PLC transceiver.  You say you have the firecracker set up as a switch on A1.  That doesn't make any sense to me.

CM11A:
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/CM11A

CM17A:
http://www.x10.com/cm17a.html
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/CM17A

I believe the correct way to configure your setup would be to use the CM11A as a PLC transceiver (if you want PLC communication) and to use a CM19A as the RF transceiver (if you want RF communication).  I don't know how the firecracker fits in unless you are trying to send a command to a module that is on a different electrical system.  Most modules are PLC so you would need something to put the firecracker's signal on the PLC (such as a TM751 or RR501).

Perhaps you could explain what you are trying to do so that I understand your goal a bit better.  The way you describe it sounds as though it will not work irregardless of HG or another system.

February 29, 2016, 10:05:50 PM
Reply #3

grahamjw

• Information
I see where I've gone wrong - I mistakenly looked at the HG Firecracker package, saw the X10 codes and didn't make the connection that Firecracker is RF.

So, I assume then that my setup is correct insofar as the X10 interface (the CM11) is concerned. I just haven't been able to establish how to configure an X10 receiver in HG.

In my example, I have an X10 appliance module set to code A1. How do I set it up as a device in HG to be able to send commands to it?

Thanks for the comments so far.

February 29, 2016, 11:45:51 PM
Reply #4

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
There is a guide that kevininv just put together that will help get you up and running pretty quickly I think.  It was written with the CM15A in mind, but it's minor differences between that and the CM11A (just the one panel in HG), so it should be helpful.  Take a look and ask more questions here if you need more help.

http://www.homegenie.it/forum/index.php?topic=1420.msg9234#msg9234

March 01, 2016, 02:38:58 AM
Reply #5

grahamjw

• Information
It looks like exactly what I need, thanks for the help (and to kevininv for putting up the guide).

March 01, 2016, 09:46:59 AM
Reply #6

grahamjw

• Information
...and of course it works perfectly, thanks again for helping me out!

March 01, 2016, 03:34:51 PM
Reply #7

kevinvinv

• Information
wow-  I am glad to see the document helped someone at least a little.   Thanks!