more G-Labs products

Author Topic: KNX Homeautomation Project  (Read 1761 times)

March 02, 2016, 11:14:12 AM
Read 1761 times

djaevla

• Information
Hello,

first of all: this is a really great project! Because of that, we plan to build a new house and want some home automation stuff (control lights, shutters and so on) and we are looking for the right home automation standard with wires (we don't want wireless). That is why we ended up with KNX and want to connect it to the HomeGenie Server running on an banana pi.

Can anyone tell me from experience, how I can connect KNX to HomeGenie? Is it simple enough that the electrician install the knx sensors and actors and then buy a KNX IP Gateway to connect to the home network? What are possible problems/downsides with that solution?

Thanks in advance!!!

Greetz

March 02, 2016, 06:13:01 PM
Reply #1

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Homegenie can currently control X10, Insteon, ZWave, and a couple other standards.  I'm not familiar with KNX but I suspect it is not currently supported as it appears to be a different protocol.  If you wanted to use HG, you would need the protocol included which would require someone with enough knowledge of the protocol and C# experience write something.  If you can do that part, you could submit it to the project and both you and other users would be able to use the KNX hardware.  The project is open source, but Gene is the primary coder and does so in his free time.  If you were to provide a controller and example hardware to him, he *might* be able to develop the KNX protocol but that would be his call.

March 22, 2016, 11:05:40 AM
Reply #2

djaevla

• Information
Thanks for your answer and sorry for the late response from me.

The homepage and the Docs say that there is already knx support, or is it not?

Homepage
Designed on a multi-standard basis, HomeGenie can interface to various devices such as X10, Insteon, Z-Wave, Philips Hue, UPnP/DLNA, RFXCom, KNX, communicate

Docs
http://www.homegenie.it/docs/doxy/annotated.html

March 22, 2016, 04:10:35 PM
Reply #3

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Yup, looks that way.  I don't use it so I can't help but if Gene says it works then he at least has the provisions for it.  Whether it's been tested or not I don't know.

March 22, 2016, 09:12:51 PM
Reply #4

Gene

• Information
  • Administrator
  • Tangible is the future!
    • Yet Another Programmer