more G-Labs products

Author Topic: Monitor raspberry pi  (Read 2733 times)

February 27, 2014, 11:42:55 PM
Read 2733 times

nolio

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Hi,
I searching for a tool to monitor my raspberry pi (cpu, ram, ...) somethings like munin (http://munin-monitoring.org) but more adapted to a small performance computer.
And i found rpi-monitor : http://rpi-experiences.blogspot.fr/p/rpi-monitor.html.

It's just to share in case of someone search something like this :).
Bye

November 27, 2014, 09:27:28 PM
Reply #1

nolio

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Hi,

I found a script which permit to do a hot (with the raspberry running) copy :
  • From the SD card on raspberry
  • To an SD card plug on usb port (with an USB-SD card reader)
You can find here : https://github.com/billw2/rpi-clone

It take around 15min to copy my SD Card and next time it can do a differential copy.

Bye

February 19, 2015, 08:35:49 PM
Reply #2

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Have you integrated the resource monitor into HG?  I like the idea of a tracking database such as rpi-monitor shows and munin talks about, but I really don't want to run a second web server to display data.  Perhaps if the content were generated and somehow linked into a HG widget or run through the same web server it would be better.

I was actually just looking for a Raspi backup method a week or so back.  I found a script that was supposed to create an image that was the minimum required size (no blank space stored) and a second script to expand it back out to the provided card as I recall.  I'll have to dig out the link and post it.  Using dd looks like a good approach but IIRC, it carries some danger of corrupted backups unless all services are stopped such that files don't change on backup.  Have you seen any issues with corruption?

February 19, 2015, 09:24:14 PM
Reply #3

nolio

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Have you integrated the resource monitor into HG?  I like the idea of a tracking database such as rpi-monitor shows and munin talks about, but I really don't want to run a second web server to display data.  Perhaps if the content were generated and somehow linked into a HG widget or run through the same web server it would be better.
No i use the rpi-monitor default interface. rpi-monitor do not use a lot of resources.

I was actually just looking for a Raspi backup method a week or so back.  I found a script that was supposed to create an image that was the minimum required size (no blank space stored) and a second script to expand it back out to the provided card as I recall.  I'll have to dig out the link and post it.  Using dd looks like a good approach but IIRC, it carries some danger of corrupted backups unless all services are stopped such that files don't change on backup.  Have you seen any issues with corruption?
I didn't have this kind of problem with rpi-clone (i recently use a clone to change my 4Go SD Card to 8Go SD Card).

February 24, 2015, 05:42:18 AM
Reply #4

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
rpi-clone doesn't seem to work for me.  I installed via git and tried to run it (sudo rpi-clone -h) and it failed to run.  The window closed immediately so I couldn't see the possible error.  Did you have to do anything to get it working?

February 24, 2015, 05:03:59 PM
Reply #5

nolio

• Information
  • Global Moderator
I didn't try :
Code: [Select]
rpi-clone -h
but i only do :
Code: [Select]
rpi-clone <target sd card> for me "sda" the device find in "/dev/".

February 24, 2015, 06:07:41 PM
Reply #6

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
I'll give that a try.  I generally look at the application notes by displaying the help message before actually using anything.  I have also read a couple of instances of where the script broke the source and destination cards so I wanted to make sure I used things correctly.