more G-Labs products

Author Topic: Like I am a 4 year old....video Re: Configuring Security Alarm System  (Read 3720 times)

November 23, 2014, 02:00:36 PM
Read 3720 times

Jaxsurf

• Information
I have watched the video Re: Configuring Security Alarm System  and I cannot make it do the same thing. Hoping that I can get some help from scratch.

Here goes:

environment:

Windows 7 server with homegenie r421 software installed. I am not on a 192.168.x.x net. I have Comcast here and our net is 10.0.0.1 . I have no Raz

I have the Siren (same as gene used in video). I enable Zwave but it does not discover it. (Pushed all the buttons on siren for discovery).

Have a Zwave Door sensor same deal.

Have windows phone 8.1 and want to make sure my settings are correct to push notification via say hotmail account and text to phone.

Sorry for being a newbie.

Jaxsurf

November 23, 2014, 04:25:31 PM
Reply #1

jshan

• Information
What z-wave controller?  Are any of your z-wave components discoverable or just the 2 you mentioned?

December 02, 2014, 02:53:36 PM
Reply #2

Jaxsurf

• Information
Both are Zwave products the siren and the window sensor. No controllers or hubs, just using windows pc.

Thanks Jshan

December 02, 2014, 03:32:26 PM
Reply #3

mvdarend

• Information

December 02, 2014, 06:45:52 PM
Reply #4

Jaxsurf

• Information
Thanks....still another 4 year old question.

I thought the PC with genie software is the controller (hub) and zwave or x10 products communicate via a typical home wireless network to genie on pc.

Am I wrong

December 02, 2014, 08:07:12 PM
Reply #5

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
I assume you mean you thought X10 and Zwave communicate via WiFi (802.11A/B/G/N/etc).  That is not correct.

X10 communicates either through power line control (PLC) or via radio waves (RF).  Zwave communicates via radio only (RF).  In order to use these with a PC, you need a controller of some kind to interface with your chosen automation hardware.  For X10, most users opt for the CM15A which does both PLC and RF communication (as well as working with X10 RF security protocols).  For Zwave, you'd need some kind of controller, but I can't recommend anything as I don't use it.  The one mvdarend recommended is probably as good advice as any!

Once you have the PC/Raspberry Pi hooked up to the controller, HG installed, and everything configured, you can then use HG to control your hardware.

I don't know what stage you are currently at, so I probably stated some things that are obvious.  But, to be fair, you asked for 4yo answers.   ;D

December 02, 2014, 09:06:22 PM
Reply #6

Jaxsurf

• Information

December 02, 2014, 09:10:24 PM
Reply #7

Jaxsurf

• Information

December 03, 2014, 12:47:19 AM
Reply #8

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
I don't know the advantages of Banana Pi over Raspberry Pi B+, so I'd recommend checking.  I have a Raspi B and it works well.  The B+ has a couple extra USB that would be nice.  I believe it's a little faster too, but don't know much beyond that.

December 03, 2014, 01:59:43 PM
Reply #9

Jaxsurf

• Information

December 05, 2014, 01:23:17 AM
Reply #10

Jaxsurf

• Information
OK so I got the Banana Pi.
 Flashed HG
Got a micro usb to power it.

I can see the Pi via android.

I cannot configure the zwave siren or Door sensor.  I thought the banana pi would talk to all devices. Essentially become a HUB/controller for Zwave, x10, insteon.

OR

Does it just speak to each controller and I still need a zwave controller.

December 05, 2014, 01:54:17 AM
Reply #11

RoChess

• Information
I thought the banana pi would talk to all devices. Essentially become a HUB/controller for Zwave, x10, insteon.

All those protocols need a Z-Wave controller chip to talk to them. These are not included with any Raspberry or Banana Pi. The only exception is the RaZberry Pi combo, but that just consists out of a regular B+ with the RaZberry Z-Wave GPIO module.

It is usually cheaper/easier to add a Z-Wave USB controller though, such as the Aeon Labs S2 one.

RaZberry GPIO = $70 -- http://www.buyapi.ca/product/razberry/
Aeon Labs S2 = $40 -- http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003MWQ30E

Philio PAU01 USB controller can be found for $27 or less if you stumble upon the right deal.

December 05, 2014, 03:40:35 AM
Reply #12

Jaxsurf

• Information
So right. I just bought the Amazon Aeon product.

So bascially HG sits as an aggreagtor of controllers/hubs.

My potential market is Rich people who want ONE REMOTE for all  best of breed controlled by one in "the internet of things". type app

That's why pool lighting apps and dog door dongles need to be controlled by hopefully an HG