more G-Labs products

Author Topic: Pepper1 database down  (Read 1492 times)

November 19, 2016, 01:01:28 AM
Read 1492 times

jmcgee

• Information
There is a banner on their website saying the database is no longer being maintained and will be shutdown soon. What does this mean for zwave and Homegenie?

November 19, 2016, 07:39:48 AM
Reply #1

nolio

• Information
  • Global Moderator
For me, pepperonedb is not needed for HomeGenie to run.
But it can be helpful in device configuration (permit to have a list of all parameter), and permit to have a picture of the device.

The web site point by pepperondb doesn't seems to have a file with all device like pepperonedb :
http://products.z-wavealliance.org/
 :(
But there is some information which look like on each device web page :
http://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1403/configs

November 19, 2016, 02:13:59 PM
Reply #2

[email protected]

• Information
Clone what you can and host an alternative, or supply one with the install? - Not used ZWave yet.

November 22, 2016, 09:08:59 PM
Reply #3

jmcgee

• Information
I use zwave but am unclear about how Homegenie knows what the parameters are for each device.  Does Pepper1 provide some information to Homegenie that it needs and cannot get with query of zwave device?

January 07, 2017, 04:12:06 PM
Reply #4

beex

• Information
I have successfully added several zwave devices to HomeGenie but only recently came across one not in the pepper1 database (Fibaro FGWPE/F -102 ZW5). While the older versions of the plug works fine this is detected but not configured at all and the zwavenodes.xml entry is almost completly empty for it. As a consequence it does not seem to work at all out of the box.

So am assuming there is something being used from the pepper1 database? If that is the case then newer devices will all need manual configuration unless a replacement is found

January 07, 2017, 07:03:58 PM
Reply #5

KaZe

• Information
Hi!

If you find your device here: http://products.z-wavealliance.org/regions
You can add to pepper db archive in HG.

1. Find your device on http://products.z-wavealliance.org/regions, and download XML
2. Add this XML file to /homegenie/archive.zip (rename the XML  like the other files in archive)
3. Put this file to Homegenie/temp folder too.
4. In HG go to settings/zwave interface options, update pepper1 database (it can't download new file, but it's add your new XML to HG db)

With this process I added my roller shutter2 FGR-222 device.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 06:53:29 PM by KaZe »

January 10, 2017, 09:10:31 PM
Reply #6

nolio

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Ok nice tips KaZe ! Thanks

January 22, 2017, 05:10:15 PM
Reply #7

beex

• Information
Hi

this did not unfortunately help for my device after trying. The plug shows up during add node and the interview results in some parameters (supported classes) but even a simple on/off command does not work consistently. I tried this with three different newer plugs and all turn up the same but the older version works perfectly fine.

What parameters are picked up by Homegenie from the pepper one database as it seems to be needed for something more than just the device information and the picture? Maybe this required information could just be manually added to the database file based on a previous wall plug version. Thanks

January 22, 2017, 11:09:44 PM
Reply #8

nolio

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Hi,
Ok I don't know about that...
Did you try the KaZe tip to add manually to HG pepperonedb ?
++

January 26, 2017, 09:37:12 PM
Reply #9

beex

• Information
Hi,

yes I did try that step by step version with what I believe should be the corresponding (xml) entry for the device from the z-wave alliance page but in my case it did not seem to help unfortunately.

January 26, 2017, 10:05:43 PM
Reply #10

Bounz

• Information
beex,

You can try to add your device to p1db_custom.xml, as the purpose of this file is to be a database of devices, that are not listed in original pepper1 db.
If you are a little bit familiar with XML you should add new <ZWaveDevice> element and fill it's content using other elements as reference. After that use Module Options window in HG's UI and click "Get" button in Node information block.

January 28, 2017, 08:37:11 AM
Reply #11

beex

• Information
Thanks, yes will try adding it there as I'd really like to get it working in HG (just to make sure it's not broken tried it in zwave.me where it appeared to work).

March 09, 2017, 11:31:52 PM
Reply #12

OldLodgeSkins

• Information
Hi Beex

Have you solved your problem?
Somebody pointed me to this thread and I've just tried KaZe's solution for my door sensor but it did not work for me either. I've found my device on zwave alliance's website and downloaded the XML file but it looks nothing like the other XML files in archive.zip - and I'm not talking about the file's name, the actual content looks different.

So basically right now I have a device that's half working, i.e. if I set it to wake up every 10 seconds I can query the basic value and I do get the proper value (0 or 255) depending on whether the door is opened or closed - and the security widget then says there's an alarm. But I get that value only if I query the node, when I should receive it automatically if the device is tripped...

I couldn't find any file named p1db_custom.xml either. Did you try that?

Thanks.

March 10, 2017, 04:34:28 PM
Reply #13

beex

• Information
Hi

sorry did not report back but lost interest in this as it did not work irrespective of editing files or adding the data manually.

As you mentioned the now official zwave alliance xml files look nothing alike the Pepper1 ones. However even picking the actual parameters from the new format (incl device id etc) and inputting them in the old format did not lead anywhere. I do have the p1db_custom.xml file (it's in the same folder) but there is no difference in adding the same there.

I did however try the same device in another program and it works fine. Apparently something essential is picked up from the database instead of just the query of the device in HG.

March 10, 2017, 08:44:13 PM
Reply #14

Bounz

• Information
I think we definitely should refactor how HG is working with device capabilities and make it less coupled to any database of z-wave devices.

I'll try to look at z-wave specs and experiment with code and new official DB, but now it looks like z-wave alliance doesn't provide any API to search in their DB.