more G-Labs products

Author Topic: zwave modules stop responding after about 12 hours  (Read 1164 times)

January 18, 2016, 12:35:22 AM
Read 1164 times

mblack

• Information
No status updates and no response to commands. Starts working each time if i restart the service.

January 18, 2016, 10:10:18 AM
Reply #1

Maximo

• Information
Can you provide your homegenie.log so that someone who has a good understanding can help you further. Also provide your system specification, RPI, Windows, Linux include the version. Protocols used and controllers make and model.

January 24, 2016, 01:27:54 AM
Reply #2

chandan

• Information
I'm seeing the same problem with my AEON Z-stick Gen 5 on a RPi B+ running jessie. This has been happening for several days with r512 and the (log/homegenie.log) doesn't help since the last few lines aren't flushed. The symptoms are exactly the same as mblack described earlier and restarting the service, either from the HG web UI or using systemctl restart, fixes the problem for the next 12 hours or so.

Upgrading the default version of Mono on the RPi from 3.2 to 4.0 didn't help, although it seems to be more stable. I used to see errors in the log file approximately like "object used after being disposed" which went away with the upgrade.

I tried r513 RC from the "testing" area on SourceForge and it suffers from the same malady. I even built HG from the sources at GitHub (from the head) with no relief. I suspect the problem is in one of the libraries, possibly ZWaveLib.dll, which are not rebuilt when HG is. Maybe I should try rebuilding everything.

The other thing that comes to mind is that SolarAltitude updates the scheduler every 12 hours. And I rely on it quite heavily for turning lights on/off. I wonder if the 12 hours is a coincidence??

By the way, all my FireCracker based X10 devices continue to work, so the problem is probably not in the HG framework code but in some low level library like MIG or ZWave.

I've attached one of the failing homegenie.log files. Hopefully some expert can shed some light.

January 24, 2016, 02:12:56 AM
Reply #3

Gene

• Information
  • Administrator
  • Tangible is the future!
    • Yet Another Programmer
How many USB devices have you attached to Pi?
 I would try letting zwave only to see if the problem persist.
Just curious about installing mono4 on a pi. I've tried on a model B pi recently but I get "illegal instruction" error. I remember having succeed in installing mono 4.0.4 a couple of months back, but latest 4.2.1 is not working.
Can you please advice about how to install mono4 on a pi?

January 24, 2016, 03:58:56 AM
Reply #4

chandan

• Information
I have 3 USB devices on the Pi:
1. Z-stick
2. Prolific USB to Serial + FireCracker
3. A harddrive (storage for security cameras)

I will follow your advice and try with ZWave alone and see if the problem persists.

To install mono4, I did the following:
1. apt-get remove homegenie
2. apt-get autoremove # this removes all the old mono stuff
3. Follow the instructions at  https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=99595
4. apt-get install mono-runtime
5. in the control file in the homegenie*.deb package, replace libmono-corlib2.0-cil with libmono-corlib4.5-cil
6. install the homegenie*.deb package

Thanks for your input.

January 24, 2016, 04:02:50 AM
Reply #5

chandan

• Information
Gene,

Is there a way to change the baud rate on the Z-stick serial port through one of the xml files? From the code, it looks like it's always running at 115200 baud. I thought I'd try lowering the speed first.

Thanks

January 27, 2016, 07:12:21 AM
Reply #6

chandan

• Information
I'm running HG on a RPi with just the Z-stick on one USB port. None of the other USB ports are used and it's been running for over 2 days without a glitch. Looks like you nailed it Gene! Thanks.

By the way, I've been running with HG r514 and mono 4.0