more G-Labs products

Author Topic: Losing changes on rebuild  (Read 1064 times)

August 15, 2016, 11:27:11 PM
Read 1064 times

Spico

• Information
I want to improve the widgets for KNX but on each rebuild I lose the changes i have implemented.

how can I preserv my changes.

August 16, 2016, 05:15:23 PM
Reply #1

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Are you referring to changes you have made to the source, compiled, and overwritten stock files with?  If so, you would either need to compile your own version each release or keep a backup of the files you customized to copy in after each update.  If the changes you make are ones that would be suitable for all users, you could also consider forking the main code and submitting it for incorporation into the main branch.

August 18, 2016, 07:40:40 PM
Reply #2

Spico

• Information
I have submitted some code already, but each time i rebuild the solution, it resets the complete environment.
how can i avoid losing the changes i have made here. for example the adresses of som KNX nodes like a lamp.
as also the parameters i need to configure to find the eibd server and so on, also the installed packages i need to work with like KNX

August 20, 2016, 06:55:37 AM
Reply #3

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
If you modify a builtin app (e.g. smart lights) and then update HG, the module will be overwritten. I'd recommend creating a new instance and modifying that so updates won't overwrite it.

October 16, 2016, 11:52:00 AM
Reply #4

Spico

• Information
What exactly do you mean by instance?

a new module?

October 17, 2016, 05:58:35 PM
Reply #5

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
It must have a different program ID.  If you export the built-in app and then import it, you will have a second copy/instance of the same app but the new one will have a different program ID.  So, when you update HG next time the new instance won't be affected by the update.  If you want to tweak the code, you need to make the change to that new version.

November 25, 2016, 08:20:45 AM
Reply #6

rainsee

• Information
I'd recommend creating a new instance and modifying that so updates won't overwrite it.