more G-Labs products

Author Topic: About ready to give up  (Read 1021 times)

May 30, 2015, 11:14:56 PM
Read 1021 times

mikeH

• Information
I've got 11 ZWave devices for HG.  Of the 11, exactly 3 worked easily out of the box, two more took about an hour to integrate, two more only partially work and the remaining 4 devices I have been unable to get working.  I've contacted the manufacturer for data sheets (Aeon) for many of the devices and received a straightforward "We won't publish them openly, but i can provide you the engineering specifications if i have them on hand." which seems silly to me.  It's almost like the entire community regardless of what "hub" you are using just plain doesn't have the information required to make these things work well.  It's frustrating and not a whole lot of fun having to reverse engineer unpublished information.  If this is the future of HA, I'd say it's going to be a pretty bleak future.  Why on earth aren't manufacturers publishing their information?  Why don't they want people to know how to integrated and operate their equipment?  After spending several hundreds of dollars on equipment the net result is two lights on switches, one dimmer switch, a siren and a water flood sensor that are functioning.  I have two RGB LED bulbs that I can't turn ON or OFF but I can dim and I've got an energy monitor that plain doesn't read the correct current flow, a garage door opener that refuses to behave and several remotes that are scene based and are REALLY hard to integrate with HG.

Is this what it's been like for all of you?  I imagine you're all programmers like me if you've stuck with it, but I can't imagine someone who isn't well versed in registry entries and strings of HEX being able to get something to work.  What's worse is that the commercial products don't seem too much better off.  Even with their support and communities I read the same troubles with ST, Wink, Vera etc......  Please let me know if you've had a different experience, who knows maybe it will cheer me up some and keep my motivation for making this work.

June 01, 2015, 04:01:50 AM
Reply #1

mikeH

• Information
I've asked AEON labs to provide me with their engineering specifications and advanced functions for developers sheets.  So far they have provided a few of them.  I was able to get the siren working just fine with the information provided and I paired it to alarm code from the flood sensor.  If anyone is interested in these data sheets, just let me know and I'll hook you up.